Taiwan is the cheapest destination to buy Christmas gifts this year, while Brazil is the most expensive
Hotels.com today reveals that Taiwan is the destination offering the greatest value for bargain hunters this Christmas, as it tops the list of destinations where consumers can get the best value for money for their gifts.
The Hotels.com Christmas Shopping Basket looks at the price of 13 of the most popular – globally available – presents across 29 countries, to produce a consumer spending index, with potential gifts ranging from iPads to Barbie’s Dreamhouse.
Taiwan was found, on average, to be the best value destination for Christmas shopping with a combined shopping basket of £917.98, followed by Japan (£1,291.11) and Argentina (£1,296.08) in second and third place.
Brazil was the country with the most expensive shopping basket at £2,987.61, over £1,000 more than the global average of £1,831.14.
The Hotels.com Christmas Shopping Basket consists of:
- iPad Air
- iPad with retina display
- Ladies real leather gloves
- Jean Paul Gaultier ‘Le Male’ Eau de Toilette 75ml
- Calvin Klein socks
- iPhone 5S
- Chloe by Chloe Perfume 75ml
- Spiderman lunch box
- Susan Boyle Home for Christmas album
- Barbie Dreamhouse
- How I Met Your Mother season 7
- Levis 501s (men’s straight leg jeans)
- Harry Potter box set (all books)
Alison Couper of the Hotels.com brand said, “Christmas shopping always seems to be more alluring when done abroad and what’s better than combining gift buying with a holiday! Our shopping basket is a great way for consumers to find the best places to pick up Christmas bargains.”
The total costs per country for the entirety of the Hotels.com Christmas shopping basket:
Average price of basket (£)
* Gift prices calculated as the average cost from three local retailers in each country, then converted to GBP – apart from items with one global figure (iPad and iPad with retina display). Exchange rates correct as of 11/11/13 13:00pm via http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/
- 1 USD = 0.626 GBP