Hotels.com hits 25 million Rewards members in its 25th year
- L.A., New York and Houston home to the savviest travelers
- Treehouses, castles and ranches – the most unusual lodgings travelers have stayed for free
- Famous artist Jeremyville turns top destinations into an artistic masterpiece
- Partying with a celeb and eating at the chef’s table of a Michelin star restaurant are the dream 24 –hour hotel adventures
DALLAS, TX – November 15, 2016: Hands up, who would like a free night in a hotel? Hotels.com®, whose Rewards program allows travelers to collect ten nights and get one free*, has revealed that savvy travelers from Los Angeles beat out other U.S. cities when it came to snapping up a free night away.
The Hotels.com Rewards™ program has hit 25 million members in the same year the company celebrates its 25th birthday. The accommodation experts have looked back at the millions of free nights redeemed, to uncover who are the nation’s savviest travelers.
Los Angeles, New York, Houston, Chicago and Dallas top the charts as having the country’s savviest travelers and Las Vegas topped the list as the most traveled to destination for free night redemptions.
With a free hotel night up for grabs, more than one in eight booked their hotel stay the very same day and usually opted for a 4-star property. Additionally, a third booked their beds on their smartphone – a growing trend for today’s on-the-go travelers.
Top destinations and hotel hotspots
The top five destinations where U.S. travelers redeemed their free nights were the tourist hubs of Las Vegas, New York, San Francisco, Orlando and San Diego.
When it came to the hotels themselves, the draw of spending a free night in a five star abode on the Las Vegas strip was impossible to resist. Of all the hotels worldwide, the top five hotels where free nights have been taken were in Sin City:
- The Venetian Resort Hotel & Casino
- ARIA Resort & Casino
- MGM Grand Hotel & Casino
- Bellagio Las Vegas
- Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino
Treehouses, ranches and palaces
It wasn’t just hotels where free nights were spent, as hundreds of travelers opted for something a little quirkier and chose to stay in a castle, in a palace, on a house boat or on a ranch – with one lucky adventurer even staying in a treehouse in Swedish Lapland!
Katie Junod, Loyalty Director of Hotels.com Brand said: “To hit 25 million Rewards members in our 25th year is a great achievement and since the program launched, over nine million free nights have been redeemed. With thousands of properties to choose from, we’ve also seen members venturing far and wide, to enjoy their free night away, none more so than the savvy travelers from Los Angeles. If you’re looking for inspiration on where to spend your free night, follow our customers’ lead and try 24 hours in a riad in Morocco or a night in a picturesque castle in Prague!”
Introducing Hotelsville … Celebrated international artist Jeremyville captures the top 25 cities that are home to the world’s savviest travelers, who have booked the most free Hotels.com Rewards nights.
Hotels.com One Night Wonders Study
Hotels.com also conducted a One Night Wonders global study to find out if travelers could jump on a plane tomorrow for just one day, where they’d go and what they’d do.
- Paris came out as the top dream destination, according to 29 percent of travelers.
- 50 percent would choose a super luxurious 5-star hotel.
- Travelers would splash the cash and pay on average $651 to spend 24 hours in their desired destination.
- The ultimate stay would be in a beach house (47 percent), a castle (46 percent), a house boat (40 percent) or an underwater hotel (37 percent).
- The dream 24-hour hotel adventure would be to eat at the chef’s table of a Michelin star restaurant (33 percent), party with a celebrity (32 percent), or automatically be able to speak the local lingo (31 percent).
Notes to Editors
Data used is correct as of October 23, 2016 and analysis looks back at the last five years of the Hotels.com Rewards program, across all countries the program is run in globally.
Survey data used was conducted by One Poll in October 2016 on behalf of Hotels.com and is based on 2,596 respondents globally.
* Free night does not include taxes and fees. See full terms and conditions
Hotels.com L.P. operates Hotels.com, a leading online accommodation booking website with hundreds of thousands of properties ranging from international chains and all-inclusive resorts to local favorites and bed & breakfasts, together with all the information needed to book the perfect stay. Special apps for mobile phones and tablets can also be downloaded enabling customers to book on the go with access to 20,000 last minute deals.
© 2016 Hotels.com, LP. Hotels.com, The Obvious Choice, Hotels.com Rewards and the Hotels.com logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotels.com, LP in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. CST # 2083949-50
Dominique Dorais – Hill+Knowlton Strategies
Phone: (347) 405-0270
Taylor L. Cole, APR
Hotels.com North America
Phone: (469) 335-8442